Saturday, December 17, 2011

Number one

So here's my first thought for you: what if we're skipping dimensions? I was thinking about this the other day. (I'm sure everyone who knows me is rolling their eyes.) We always represent our physical reality in three dimensions: length, width, depth. Add to that metaphysical concepts like time and velocity. But I propose we forgot one: existence. Now, you may be thinking "This man is a loon! A heretic! We should put him to death!" Hold your anus for a moment. Let me explain. See, all physical dimensions can be represented mathematically. (Technically so can metaphysical ones, but it's srs business trying to do that. )
Length is a line. Simple as that. Now, I'm not talking a grocery store checkout line, or a green citrus fruit. (Wait..) No siree, I'm talking a real life mathematical line! One that only exists in one dimension! If you have no idea what the crap I'm talking about, click here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(geometry)

So that's dimension one. The following dimension is what happens when you square the previous dimension (multiply it by itself.) Dimension two is a square, so named because its a line that is squared. Square a square and you get a cube: the third dimension. But wait. I think there's one more remember points from geometry? (If not: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_(geometry) )

Now, I propose that points are the physical representation of the first dimension: existence. This article defines points as zero dimensional, but I disagree. In order for there to be a point, it must exist. And in order to exist, there must be a point. So the zero dimension is technically non-existence. That's my thought at least. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, or extensive mental collection of expletives. I'll still be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment